This week’s Listicles topic is 10 Foods That Make Me Think Of… suggested by Alisa. Next week’s topic is 10 Ways to Say I Love You. I claim to be a closet foodie… so, this week’s topic is going to be fun. It’s amazing how different foods and smells evoke memories when you see, eat, or smell them. So, without further adieu, I give you 10 Foods That Make Me Think Of…
- Apple Dumplings – Apple dumplings always make me think of my paternal grandma and grandpa. She was an amazing cook, but unfortunately she died before I was truly able to learn her recipes and I don’t have copies of her notebooks. I honestly do not remember making apple dumplings with her, but my grandpa used to use her recipe to make them with me. Super delicious. And, guess what… here’s the recipe.
- Beef bourguignon – The Hub’s step-mom used to make this every year for Christmas, in honor of my brother-in-law’s birthday. Oh. My. Goodness. I think it was the best part of Christmas eve. That, and the carrot cake.
- Homemade Pizza – Every time we have homemade pizza, it always makes me think of my maternal grandpa and how we used to make pizza’s every Friday during the summer.
- Beef and Noodles – Yet another dish that makes me think of my paternal grandma. We used to go to the local meat market when I was younger and pick up beef for her beef and noodles. I just remember her picking up the cans of beef, and shaking them near my ear, and asking me if I thought there was enough in the can for beef and noodles.
- Chili – Whenever I have chili, it makes me think of the first pot of chili my brother Jeff ever made. I swear, he dumped in an entire container of chili powder. It was the worst thing ever. I didn’t want to eat it, but mom and dad kinda made me. It was horrible. Thank God, he became a better cook from there…
- Stir Fry – My dad bought a wok one time, and it was the best purchase ever. He would make the best stir fries– I can’t even begin to come close to what he would make– homemade sauces, exotic veggies, meats. Yum.
- Homemade noodles – Homemade noodles always makes me think of all the trips to Amish Country with mom and the kids.
- Marion’s Pizza – This is a local, Dayton-area pizza joint that has been around forever. My dad and I used to go there for lunch when we worked at the car dealership. It always makes me miss him when I have it.
- Taco Pizza – Whenever I have taco pizza, it always reminds me of the time the Hubs and I tried to make our own. Instead of pizza, we had Taco Bell. Long story short– we had to use the fire extinguisher on my mother-in-law’s oven. We literally didn’t attempt another taco pizza for at least 10 years.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream – This is another food that makes me think of my dad. He used to pick me up from school in the ’79 Malibu and we would share a mint chocolate chip ice cream in a waffle cone.
The list could go on and on… ravioli, spaghetti and cheese, pizza pies on the fire, biscuits and gravy. I think I am like most people– I associate food with memories, especially memories of those who have passed away.
Well, there you have it… 10 Foods That Make Me Think Of…
… dang, I’m hungry…
Where I might be partying today: Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Busy Monday, Recipe Sharing Monday, Made by You Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mop it up Monday, Open Call Social, Monday Listicles, Mom's Monday Mingle, Monday No Rules Blog Hop, and Craft-O-Maniac Monday.